Global sustainability is considered the desired goal of environmental management and global development. Sustainability can be broadly defined but the meaning of global sustainability depends on the context in which the term is used but a definite definition should explicitly mention the context along with the spatial and temporal scales which are considered. In general, global sustainable development is defined as the development which meets the needs of present generations without compromising the needs and ability of the future generations.
Humankind has come a long way in terms of the development and use of technology. Every step taken to enhance the technology has resulted in a step backward for the natural environment. Technological advancements have led to the deterioration of the natural environment and of the natural ecosystems.
Advancements in technology have without a doubt improved the quality of life but it has come at a high cost and negative consequences to the natural environment. The major environmental impacts include the pollutants and emissions which are emitted in the atmosphere. This has resulted in the greenhouse effect.
However, technology can be used as a tool to reverse the negative impact it has created on the environment by creating environmentally sustainable systems and control pollution. The use of limited sources of energy has to be replaced by the use of sustainable energy through new technologies. This issue is considered a major concern on a global scale
Why Is Global Sustainability Important?
- Sustainability development is important to make available clean air, non-toxic environment and natural resources to create a healthy community.
- Global sustainability development ensures efficiently available of limited sources of energy.
- Due to the increase in the risk of the health from the widespread global climatic changes and environmental degradation, the governments and communities are placing a high emphasis on ensuring that economic development is achieved in a sustainable manner.
What Are The Three Pillars Of Sustainable Development?
- Economic development means providing incentives to business to strictly follow the guidelines of sustainability development. It also means satisfying people’s needs without compromising the quality of life and lowering the financial burden in developing countries.
- Social development is spreading awareness of pollution and other harmful pollutants which are emitted from industries which affect the health of people. The main aim is to encourage and educate people to actively participate in environmental sustainability programs on how to protect the environment.
- Environmental protection aims at protecting, integrity and sustainability of the natural ecosystems, natural resources, and air quality.
What Are The Objectives Of The UN’s Sustainability Development?
- To end the hunger and poverty around the world
- To ensure better standards of healthcare and education.
- It also aims at improving water quality and sanitation.
- To aim and achieve gender equality all around the world.
- To promote stronger economies and jobs with sustainable economic development
- To reduce the harmful effects of pollution.
The sustainable development program ensures the sustainability of the natural environment and acknowledges the damage technologies cause to our natural environment.